Thursday, February 8, 2007

Filipino Tuning

Nothing says amateur more than an untuned instrument.

Tuning is one of the few things that sets apart those who are really out to make music
from those who just want to play around.

Sadly, I've noticed that imperfect tuning is quite common among many Filipino musicians.

1
I once worked with a brass quintet when I was conductor of the parish grand choir.
I couldn't help it and had to point out that they sounded slightly off key to me.
The band leader said, "Hindi ka pa lang sanay. (which can be translated either as 'You're just not used to it' OR 'You're just inexperienced.')" Being the humble college student that I was, I kept my mouth shut and tried to get used to it. We played. They were paid. And that was it.

But then I listened to a recording by the Ludwig Guttler Brass Ensemble.*
They sounded perfect. So now I am more experienced. And know that I should always trust my ears no matter what the instrument.

*Ludwig Guttler Brass Ensemble. "Trumpet Tune and Air." from Baroque Highlights. LA, California: Delta Music, 1990.

2
I was once with Louie Ocampo at his studio in Makati for an alternative class.
He said he used to work with live musicians.
But some musicians resented it when he pointed out that they were off key.
So now he just works with synthesizers.
Sayang naman!

3
The great percussionist and sitar player Joey Valenciano
once told a story in class about a famous young Filipino band
that he had the chance to work with.
During one performance he told them--your guitars are out of tune.
They said--Ok lang, lagi namang ganyan e. (It's ok, they're always like that.)

4
I once attended a show featuring what might be considered the Philippines' best orchestral ensemble. Despite being conducted by a Filipino legend in a tribute concert to the same, they still played off key. Not a lot, but more than they should have.

5
When I record my own playing and singing, I realize that the disease is also mine.


WHY CAN FILIPINOS STAND BEING OFF KEY?
Maybe it's because we make do with instruments we can afford.
Maybe because we spend our time doing things which are more practical than practicing.
But I fear it's mostly because we are used to mediocrity.
Or because our history has made us too humble to admit that our music can be perfect.

E ikaw, sintunado ka rin bang tumugtog?

1 comment:

claude dietrich said...

admittedly sir sakit ko rin yan... hindi ko alam kung bakit pero parang wala lang sakin... dapat talaga gawan ko ng paraan yan kasi kung hindi... show's over... hahaha wala lang..


-Trix